I love soup! Maybe it’s because I live in the Pacific Northwest where there are plenty of dark rainy days perfect for sipping on hardy healing soups. Or maybe I just like soup. Either way I love making delicious homemade soups! If you love soups you are going to love this healthy broccoli soup recipe.
When it comes to soups you just can’t beat homemade. Soups that come from a can are loaded with sodium, and possibly other ingredients you don’t want to put in your body. Restaurant soups on the other hand, while tasty, are often made with lots of cheap oil and possibly other questionable ingredients. That is why I am all about homemade soup! Not to mention soups are incredibly easy to make!
This health broccoli soup recipe is no exception, it is simple and made from all healthy whole food ingredients. One of the things I love about this soup is that it is made almost entirely from vegetables. Instead of using heavy creams or cheese this soup gets is rich texture from potato. The bulk of this soup is exactly what it should be, broccoli. Enjoy as many warm bowls of tasty broccoli goodness as your tummy can handle, guilt free! Just get ready to hit your veggie quota for the day!Healthy Broccoli soup #recipe for a veggie filled protein packed meal! Click To Tweet
Healthy Broccoli Soup Recipe Notes
For this recipe I made my own broth using three or four chicken thighs combined with the garlic used in this recipe, a tablespoon of salt, and 8 cups of water cooked in high pressure in the pressure cooker for at least 30 minutes. I separated the broth and the chicken. I used the broth to make healthy broccoli soup, and shredded the chicken to go on top of the individual bowls of soup.
If you are vegan or vegetarian simply replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock and omit the chicken at the end. Broccoli is a protein powerhouse all it’s own, enjoy a bowl and feel good knowing your getting a powerful punch of protein!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 freshly minced cloves of garlic
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 cups chopped white onion
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 8 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 pieces of your choice of cooked chicken (I used chicken thighs)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot on high heat
- Add coconut oil and reduce heat to medium high
- Add garlic, onion, celery, and salt
- Saute until onions and garlic turn golden brown
- Add chicken stock, broccoli, potato, and parsley
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove pot from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth
- Serve into individual bowls and top with shredded chicken and fresh ground black pepper to taste